Above: Chandra Devi lost two of her children last week when they consumed a free school lunch in Gandaman village, India. They were among 23 children who died in the tragedy.
Below: The empty classroom where the students were served meals tainted with pesticide.
"We are small people. What can we really do about this?" asks Surendra Prasad, perched on the steps outside the Patna Medical College and Hospital in the state capital of Bihar in eastern India.
Inside, two of his young children are recovering in the intensive care unit. His wife has also been admitted, in shock after another child, their 10-year-old daughter, Mamta, died along with 22 other children who ate a free school midday meal in their village last Tuesday. Authorities say the food was tainted with high concentrations of toxic insecticide.
Mamta’s grandmother breaks down describing how the little girl slipped away.
"She was saying to me, ‘Don’t worry — everything will be all right,’ then suddenly she died," says the elderly woman, her face etched in grief.